Wednesday, June 23, 2010

33 Weeks - Tiny Scare

Hey, all.

So I went in for just a regular check-up today, and when my doctor got the heartbeat, she made a weird face, and commented that it was very high. 192, to be exact, which is about 40 bpm faster than his normal, and out of the "normal range". She was a bit surprised, but thought that it might have been due to 1.) the fact that he was moving all over the place and 2.) I hadn't had any water yet (it's a long drive and when I drink a normal amount of water, the average bathroom break is every twenty minutes or so, so you can understand why I limit myself on these hour and a half long drives). She wasn't overly concerned, but wanted me to go to the hospital (to my high-risk doctor) to get monitored just to make sure things were okay.

Okay, so trying to stay as calm as possible (because if my heartrate goes up, so does you-know-who's) and taking my doctor's advice of drinking lots of water immediately, I drove the five minutes to the hospital and was hooked up on the monitor that reads the heart rate and contractions (called a Non-stress test, the same external monitoring used during labor.) Little Boy's heartrate was FINE, right back around 150 where it belongs. Whew! Guess he was just keeping my doctor on her toes, and I'm glad she was (maybe overly?) cautious.

So about three nights ago, I had some significant contractions that weren't painful but that were occurring frequently enough that I SHOULD have called the dr according the "Labor Instructions" sheet I was given. But I never did call that night, but promised I would the next day if they were still occurring (they weren't, at least not as often or as strongly). I told my regular doctor this today and she said if I have six an hour to call immediately. Well, in the 20 minutes I was strapped in at the hospital, I had at least ten! When I finished the test (or when HE finished, and passed with flying colors:) I saw the amazing Dr. Poggi (whom I try to convince every time I see her that she is an angel sent from Heaven...you remember her...the Dr. from L.A. who sounds like a VERY smart "Valley Girl") and she stated the obvious - that I was definitely having more than six contractions in an hour. So as I wait for her to check me to see if I am dialated, I am preparing myself for the worst - news that I am already 2 or 3 centimeters dialated, and I need to get people to Virginia STAT (most importantly, Jimmy!). Luckily, I was not dialated at all (or as Poggi put it, "Your cervix didn't get the memo." Did you do the accent?) Another WHEW! She said to keep an eye on the contractions. Ummm, okay? Not quite sure what that means ... I'm obviously getting A LOT of them, so does that mean anything? Is he going to come early? How will I know when they are dialating contractions? (thanks to my two wonderfully honest and succinct mothers - I'll "just know":) My conclusion: I have no idea what to expect, but hopefully they are right, and my body will let me know (and with a little more warning than just a head popping out while I'm watching Jeopardy or something).

Because I was scheduled to see Poggi next week anyway for a growth ultrasound, she said we could do "one-stop shopping" today and go ahead with it. So I got to see the little one who is causing all this drama, and he is perfect. Yippee!!! Everything is measuring great - he's already 5 pounds 12 ounces! (Figure a half a pound more a week, do the math, and we've got a little chunker!) I am measuring around 34 weeks. He's always been about a week ahead, and now with these contractions, I'm starting to think he'll be here sooner than later... just "Mother's Instinct." And Jimmy has had that feeling for awhile now, too. My doctor said that at 37 weeks, they'll deliver (I mean, seriously, three more weeks!!!!!) but the longer he stays in there to fatten up, the better. (Tell that to my... nevermind.) Seriously, though, I really do hope he stays put for a few more weeks. The lungs develop last, and they grow stronger and more functional with each day. I'd hate to have him early and have him suffer by being hooked up to breathing machines in the NICU. That would break my heart. I'm thinking 38 weeks is a perfect time for his first breath :) Oh, and he is head down and "locked" so hopefully he will stay that way so we can decrease our chances of a C-section (thought, honestly, I really don't care ... I just want what's best for him!)

Funny little tid-bit - apparently, the office is witnessing a baby boom right now - babies are up 30%! Poggi noticed how many 18-weekers they had, so her and her nurse got out the calendar, flipped back, and guess what was going on at the time? If you are from the area, do you recall a succession of blizzards? Poggi calls them her "Snowmageddon Babies." The ways people try to stay warm :)

Anyway, as always, please continue prayers and good thoughts. We'd like our little guy to cook for at least another three weeks so he can come out with a waaaaaailllllllling scream letting us know he's okay! :) And thanks so much for all your support - we are so thrilled to be parents-in-the-making.

Pic to come! He's so chubby and cute already!

3 comments:

  1. Paigey,

    Glad to hear everything is OK. Love you!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything is okay and hopefully he will hang out a little while longer. Don't overdue yourself these last few weeks!

    My blog is here: http://lisasmith1019.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not religious, but I'm going to pray for you anyway. You had me nervous for you. Remember to call if you need a drive to Washington on short notice. I can be there in 20 minutes at any time.

    ReplyDelete