Sunday, February 21, 2010

16 Weeks - New Doctor!

So the way my doctors office works is kind of unique - I rotate between five doctors. That way, when it comes time to deliver our little munchkin, I won't end up with a "stranger" at the foot of the hospital bed. Before my sixteen week check-up, I had only met with two of the doctors, both whom I liked very much. So this week (yes, I am finally caught up to current time) I met a third. I had read very good things about this one - he's been awarded with a lot of recognition and accolades in the DC/Virginia area.



Normally when I visit the office, they are very timely. Jimmy and I have even shown up 45 minutes early (before we got good at timing our hour and fifteen minute drive) and they've taken us right in. This week was different. Not only did I wait over a half an hour in the general waiting room, I then sat in the actual room on that bed thingy (at least I got to put my feet up on the nice little foot rests they provide at the end of the bed;) for at least another half an hour. As I waited, I heard the doctor in the room next to mine. He was with the patient in there for the whole duration I was in there, and, instead of being an impatient patient, I appreciated the time he spent with this woman (too bad the walls are so thin, though) and figured I would get the same thorough treatment (luckily all verbal at this visit ;)



Anyway, finally I hear him knock at my door, and in walks the exact opposite of what I was envisioning in my mind. This guy's got his gray, curly hair pulled back in a pony tail, his tan is most enviable, his gold chain necklaces a-sparkling, and his grin is about the size of Texas as he introduces himself as "the old guy in the building". I kept trying to figure out who would play him in a movie (I mean, isn't this what we all do when we meet a new person?) and just couldn't come up with anyone. I guess if one of the Beach Boys starred in Goodfellas, I'd choose him.



It turns out I'm a huge fan of this doctor and think I might cry if the stars don't align and our baby is not delivered by him. He's funny, light-hearted, and before I could ask any of my questions (my doctors know already that I have a hand-written, bulleted list of concerns and curiosities in my purse) he read my mind and answered them all for me (okay, well, I did have to ask if brats and shrimp were okay to eat...turns out they are safe, but I got the feeling brats aren't really "doctor recommended" pregnant or not). I just feel like this doctor would try to make the delivery a fun and entertaining experience, complete with all of us singing "Good Vibrations" during contractions.


Anyway, as much I can gush about this doctor, obviously the best part was getting to hear "the little bugger's" heartbeat. What a sound. I know women who rent or buy dopplers and listen to the baby's heartbeat at home, and while this is so tempting, I would be the mommy-to-be who could do nothing else. Our little one's heartbeat was 160 beats per minute, which indicates a girl, according to the old-wives' tale ;)



Overall, it was a great visit. I wish Jimmy could have been there to hear the heartbeat and meet the new doc, but am glad he was spared all the waiting. We both get to go to the next one in two weeks during which we will find out if we are about to spoil the crap out of a little boy or girl. :)

1 comment:

  1. Paige,

    I love all of your insights about being pregnant. You really are a language arts person at heart and comes through in your writing! I am glad that your sister-in-law started this blog so that I can feel as though I am right there with you as your travel down the road to mother-hood! You are going to be a fabulous MOMMY!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete